Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Placed in Displacement

I was thinking as I tried to choose which blogs to put in my portfolio, if I covered all of my thoughts on humanistic studies. When I entered the course, I assumed we would be studying human behavior rather than emotion. I cannot express fully how pleased I was to find out that we were studying more than just behavior but feelings of belonging and place. I was most intrigued by the section about place. As I have said before, place is something I am not really familiar with. I cannot explain how different home is for an army child. A sense of belonging, to me, includes more than just a set of walls and an address. I have experienced many different types of homes-from townhouses to single-family homes. I've lived in Texas, Tennessee, Kansas, Virginia and most recently, Germany. I suppose home is a place where my family is. Along with that, I guess what I understand the most is displacement. The easiest way to put this is to state that instead of understanding place, I understand best displacement. I can honestly say I have never felt as if I really belonged anywhere. Yet, I never have felt as if I've missed out. Is the truth that we either know place or adjust to displacement? Or maybe, they're both just as important. And which is a better lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment