Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Identity Crisis

In class, we discussed the number of identities a person can have. But, can you be more than one at the same time? Or is there always pressure to be one more than the other? To be perfectly honest, I think there is always going to be a struggle between identities. I believe that part of being human automatically entails complexity because each person is built by these various identities . I cannot imagine not being a student, a daughter, a friend, an army kid, a vegetarian, an Italian, an Irish, an American etc. I believe that these multiple identities are what complete me as a person. As to the question: is everything you do a performance? I would have to respond: no. I know that for myself, my identities are of my own making. A false person, on the other hand, who pretends to be someone they are not would possess an untrue identity and would be performing to their audience, shifting themselves for their surroundings. Performance, for me, involves "acting" which automatically makes me think of a person being fake.

The beauty of our race is that we are all different. Our multiple identities are what make us that way. Each person has a different combination, causing them to be unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment