Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Belief vs. Knowledge

What is belief and what is knowledge? Which of these is stronger?
For Omishto, as we discussed in class, it seems as if she has reversed the roles of these two. She sees knowledge as a gut feeling, as her senses. She does not believe in the intangible. She only believes that which is based on fact. At the same time, she identifies that there is a difference between the two, unsure of what she believes and what she knows: "I can't say what I believe anymore. I can't say even what I think or know. Believing and knowing are two lands distant from each other" (40). I think that all and all, Omishto is just like any other young person, she is unsure of where in life she is, what in life she should believe and how much in life she knows.
Personally, I think that neither beliefs nor knowledge are stronger. I think that they have equal amounts of power. Knowledge can assist in personal, economical and career achievement. Beliefs encourage self-esteem, spiritual development and personal relationships. These two aspects, I believe, are too different to compare and contrast. Both help in reaching a place for each individual to grow and learn about their environment, their culture and themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment