Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Emotion Can Cause Quite a Commotion!

The purpose of this blog is to share with you how I feel about Shakespeare's writing. He touches on every human emotion: love, jealousy, hatred, friendship, loyalty, betrayal, etc. and although he exaggerates them he really does express how easily it is to be manipulated because of emotions. We are all weak when it comes to love. We are all susceptible to betrayal. We are closely bonded through friendship. We all envious of those we believe to have better things or that are better than us. And we are loyal to the ones we love. But, I believe, we can lose ourselves in these deep emotions. Iagos are all over the place. I suppose what I am trying to say is that Shakespeare's plays should serve as a model. A model, or a lesson, that shares how beautiful these emotions can be, but also how treacherous they can become. Avoid being Iago, avoid being Othello, and hold on to your sanity, because anyone can lose it.

My favorite Shakespeare play is undoubtedly "The Taming of the Shrew." I have read the play at least twenty times! Ever since middle school, when my mother handed me "Macbeth"--I was having trouble with essay writing so my mother would assign me work (it was an awful experience, but I can never thank her enough for teaching me to write)--I have been in love with Shakespeare's play. In fact, I own every single one now, thanks to this class! And now for something not quite as heavy...a clip from 10 Things I Hate About You (modeled after "The Taming of the Shrew") which by the way does quote the original play-if you watch the whole movie and listen closely you'll hear it! In fact, Katrina is referred to as the "shrew" on numerous occasions AND the character, Cameron, who is an adaptation of Lucentio says when he sees Bianca (as Bianca from the original play) "I burn, I pine, I perish" which Lucentio says in Act 1, Scene 1!

2 comments:

  1. Casey--
    I have several comments to make, and I think it's probably easiest for me to do so in list form (I am lame like that and find great pleasure in making lists):

    1-I agree...Shakespeare's plays are FULL of emotion, and not just emotion, but INTENSE emotion!! I think this is one of the reasons that Julia Stiles has been cast as the lead female role in several adaptations of his work; I elaborate on this point on my blog at http://sam-samslivestimes.blogspot.com/ if you care to check it out.

    2-I must say I admire your middle school work ethic. Shakespeare essay writing in middle school!! Major props to ya!!

    3-And finally, I want to both thank you and curse you for including the clip from 10 Things I Hate About You. I thank you because I highly enjoyed it and love that movie; I curse you because now I'm going to go rent it instead of doing the pile of homework that needs to get done today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find the scene you posted a really interesting way in which the film attempts to directly connect its modern fiction to the early modern writer, Shakespeare. It's especially fun considering that this film is probably showed in high school English classrooms just like this! The dialogue it creates, I find, is what keeps Shakespeare alive and kicking--not necessarily the fact that so many high school (or middle school!) students are asked to read Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, etc.

    ReplyDelete